Vokey WedgeWorks Adds Tour-Proven T Grind – A Favorite of Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas
FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (July 9, 2020) – Master Craftsman Bob Vokey’s long-trusted T Grind – an original Vokey grind still in the bags of many tour players including Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas – is now available through WedgeWorks.
Inspired by Vokey’s work with one of the game’s all-time best wedge players, the T Grind was designed for great hands and a vivid short-game imagination. Available in 58º and 60º lofts, it is ideal for a shallow angle of attack in firm conditions, with low bounce and a narrow crescent surface. Compared to Vokey’s L grind, it has a wider back flange which allows for lower measured bounce.
“Wedge play is an art, and the T Grind brings out the best in the artist,” Vokey said. “The leading edge stays low to the playing surface as the wedge is rotated which allows you to hit a variety of shots from tight lies. This is the wedge that really made Vokey Grinds an important part of our process – and still to this day is a great option.”
T GRIND ON TOUR
Both Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas have recently added Vokey T Grind lob wedges to their setups. Spieth first used the T Grind during his college career. At last season’s Players Championship, Spieth asked Vokey PGA Tour Rep Aaron Dill (@VokeyWedgeRep) to build him a 60-degree T Grind – and it has stayed in the bag ever since. Justin Thomas tested a series of low-bounce options leading up to the 2019 Presidents Cup, ultimately deciding the T Grind best fit the conditions and his game at Royal Melbourne. He now keeps a 60T in his travel bag and selects either the T Grind or a low-bounce K Grind based on the week, course and conditions. Ben An also regularly carries a 60T.
The T Grind continues to grow in popularity on tour, especially in Europe where players are more often faced with links-style conditions.
Said Will Harvey, Vokey’s European Tour Rep: “I’ve had players say they feel like they can hit any shot with the T – the combination of the forward bounce for low pitch shots and the grind for the soft control shots is something needed with the vast amount of shots required on links or firmer course set ups.”
WedgeWorks T Grind wedges are designed with the same advanced technologies that have made Vokey Design SM8 wedges the #1 wedge on tour:
• Reimagined Progressive CG is pushed forward from the face for increased MOI – producing improved distance and trajectory control, better feel and a club face that simply wants to square up at impact for more consistent results. To achieve this in the T Grind and all SM8 lob wedges, Vokey’s team lengthened the hosels and counterbalanced that weight with high-density tungsten low in the toe.
• 100% Inspected Spin Milled Grooves are cut with a level of precision that is unique by finish, producing maximum spin and shot control. Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximize spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is applied to the impact area to double the durability of the groove without impacting feel – making it the most durable groove in golf.
ADVANCED PERSONALISATION AND CUSTOM OPTIONS
Consistent with SM8, the T Grind features a modern, clean look, which also provides a big canvas for customization. Inspired by Aaron Dill, the WedgeWorks custom options are expanded to include:
- Six unique toe engravings;
- Expanded stamping options: 10-character Straight/Freestyle; 15 characters around toe; 5-character staircase style; and
- Custom paint-filled Loft and Grind markings and BV Wings logo.
- Hand Grinds: Raw finishes can be hand ground to exact specs, including both performance grinds and profile adjustments – a true tour van experience.
LOFTS, FINISHES & AVAILABILITY
The WedgeWorks T Grind will be available for custom order in Australian and New Zealand golf shops and on Vokey.com in both 58° and 60° lofts in Tour Chrome and Raw finishes. RH only. US Pricing ($199) includes custom stamping, custom ferrule and custom shaft band.