FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Jan. 18, 2023) - The 2023 Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x - the next generation of the most trusted golf balls in the game - set another standard for tee-to-green performance and consistency through advanced core technologies validated by the best players in the world.
Available in golf shops beginning Jan. 25, new Pro V1 and Pro V1x are engineered with high gradient core designs that deliver lower long game spin for increased distance and a more consistent flight – helping golfers hit the ball longer and straighter while maintaining the Drop-and-Stop greenside control that Pro V1 and Pro V1x players rely on to play their best.
The new high gradient constructions feature progressive firmness levels that lower long game spin without sacrificing short game spin. High gradient core technology, combined with the continued advancement of Titleist's unparalleled manufacturing process, produces more consistent spin and speed performance for even tighter dispersion.
“We’re looking for consistency in every element of golf ball construction, from the aerodynamics down to the core,” said Mike Madson, Senior Director Golf Ball Research and Engineering. “We always want the ball flying in the same window regardless of how it’s oriented, and we want the ball to produce consistent launch, spin, and speed on every shot. Consistency means when a golfer tees up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x, every properly executed shot they make is going to deliver the performance they expect and the performance they trust.”
Along with these key innovations, Pro V1 and Pro V1x both remain true to their unique play styles: Pro V1 offers the best combination of distance, spin, and feel in the game and delivers a penetrating ball flight. Pro V1x is engineered to fly higher and spin more with irons and in the short game, while still offering low spin on longer shots to maximize distance.
“For a Titleist golf ball to be new, it must be better,” said Frederick Waddell, Director of Golf Ball Product Management. “For us to call it a new Pro V1, it needs to be demonstrably better than the prior generation. We go through a rigorous testing and validation process to ensure the performance improvements developed by our world-class R&D team are recognized by the golfer when they put it in play and experience the product.”
The most advanced iterations of the Pro V1 and Pro V1x yet, both golf balls feature significant innovations to improve on-course performance, including:
- New High Gradient Core Design: An all-new, reimagined core in the new Pro V1 and the dual core Pro V1x are built to be firmer on the outside and progressively softer on the inside, which promotes fast speeds and low long game spin. The new cores take inspiration from popular CPOs (Custom Performance Options) - Pro V1 Left Dot and Pro V1x Left Dash - both of which feature high gradient cores and are the choice of several players on professional tours.
- New Dual-Core Dimension: There has been a change in the 2023 Pro V1x dual core design, with the inner core increasing center volume by 44%, from 1” to 1.13” in size. This works in concert with the high gradient, as the larger and softer center helps to drive down long game spin and increase stability through the air.
- Speed Amplifying High-Flex Casing Layer: Casing layers on both the Pro V1 and Pro V1x interact with the high gradient cores to further neutralize excess spin while combining with the soft cast urethane cover to provide unparalleled greenside spin and control.
- Cast Thermoset Urethane Cover: The urethane covers on the Pro V1 and Pro V1x golf balls utilize a proprietary thermoset process. Two separate components are mixed, and the liquid urethane is cast into Titleist-manufactured cavities which form the appropriate dimple pattern into the cover. The precise timing of the curing process and temperature are integral to the consistency of the urethane and the performance the golfer experiences on the course.
- Spherically-tiled Tetrahedral Dimple Designs: With a 388-dimple design on the Pro V1 and a 348-dimple design on Pro V1x, both golf balls have optimized aerodynamics to fly consistent and far. The Pro V1x’s dimple pattern allows the ball to launch and fly in a slightly higher window than the Pro V1.
Every two years, the introduction of next generation Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x golf balls on the PGA TOUR signals another step forward for the #1 ball in golf. For Titleist Golf Ball R&D, developing new Pro V1 and Pro V1x models that consistently outperform the prior generation models is a continuous process, rooted in prototype testing with the best players in the world and golfers at every level of the game. Titleist R&D uses this player feedback to iterate and validate the performance of new golf ball constructions.
Final prototypes for the 2023 Pro V1 and Pro V1x models were seeded on the PGA Tour in late September 2022:
• More than 45 players have teed up new Pro V1 and Pro V1x models on the PGA TOUR since their introduction – including Will Zalatoris who put new Pro V1x immediately in play to begin 2023 at the Sentry Tournament of Champions, his first start on the PGA TOUR since his win at last year’s FedEx St. Jude Championship. Sungjae Im and Viktor Hovland joined Zalatoris in teeing up 2023 Pro V1x at Kapalua.
Zalatoris: “The golf ball is the engine of everything I do equipment wise. So the big thing that I look for whenever I’m testing balls, is ‘Does it do exactly what I think it’s going to do? The dependability is obviously something that all the players who play the ball, that’s the number one thing that we absolutely love. And so when I switched to the [2023 Pro V1x], the big thing I saw was it had the exact same reactions around the greens, I actually gained a little bit of distance with the driver, but it was actually better through the wind. For me to be able to put the exact same swing on a golf ball and gain just that much more, that adds up a lot throughout a season.
Click here for additional tour updates and player reaction:
Pro V1 is the best ball for players seeking very low long game spin, more distance, penetrating and consistent flight, and Drop-and-Stop greenside control, all of which complements Pro V1’s very soft feel. Pro V1x is the best choice for golfers seeking higher flight and more spin, with a slightly firmer feel compared to Pro V1.
White golf balls are available with play numbers 1-4, 5-8, and all the same play numbers 00 or 1-99. High optic yellow golf balls are available with play numbers 1-4.